Wednesday, June 5, 2013

"Local Color" postcard swap - mail by July 15th


The challenge for this swap is to create an original postcard that features something unique or quirky about the area where you live.  (Big thanks to Joanne for leaving this idea in the comments and for essentially writing half of this post for me!)

Was there a "colorful personality" who once lived in your city? Is there a company that has roots in your town? Was there a historical battle nearby? These are the types of thing that could be portrayed on the front.   Or maybe you’d like to highlight an interesting geographical feature, or unusual local wildlife, or your favorite hangout.

Head outside with your camera, or scour the internet, historical society, library, or tourist bureau for community history info, vintage photographs, etc.

But don’t feel limited to photography.  You can use any type of media and technique to portray your area.  Consider adding some kind of graphics or writing on the front to make it look like a classic tourist postcard. 

What we don’t want is a single unadorned picture with a message on the back.

But speaking of messages – write a little note to your partner describing what you’ve portrayed visually. 

(As an added bonus, since this is a mail art site, it might be nice for everyone to include on one of the sides of the postcard, a current thumbnail picture of the post office you most often use. )


SWAP DETAILS:
  •  Create your postcard - any dimensions, just make sure you include the proper postage for the size.
  • Include your name and return address on the back. Also add your email address so that you partner can thank you for your card.
  • Write "MMSA Local Color" somewhere on the back of the card as well.  (I don't know about you, but I get a lot of mail, and it's sometimes hard to figure out if it's part of an organized swap or just personal mail.)
  • Leave the address section blank
  • Stick it in an envelope with:
    • a stamp (don't adhere to the postcard in case I need to send yours to someone out of the country).  Keep in mind the maximum size card you can send with the post card rate stamp is 4.25 x6 inches.  If your card is bigger than this, or oddly shaped, or excessively rigid or lumpy, it will need more postage.
    •  a mailing label with your name and address on it (I will stick it on the card I mail back to you.  This keeps me from having to decipher handwriting on the envelope you send me, and saves me time when swapping everything and mailing it back out) 
  •  mail it to me no later than July 15th (postmark date)
             Karen Isaacson
             PO Box 532
             Shrewsbury, MA 01545
             United States
  • Feel free to make more than one ( you can send them to me in the same envelope).  You'll get back the number of postcards you create.  Make sure to include a mailing label and stamp for each post card.
  • If you live outside the US, don't include stamps, but send me $1.10 (US dollars) per postcard for postage via paypal.  (email: iamrushmore@gmail.com)
  • I will post your work to the blog when I receive it.  If you would like your image linked to your blog, or flickr account, or facebook page, or etsy shop (or whatever) just send me a note telling me how you want it linked.  (this is a great way to meet other artists and make lots of new friends)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Another one that I have GOT to do! My brain is exploding with ideas! Coolness!

Colleen said...

Well this one is easy -- I live in the Lavender capital of the U.S.!! Huh, I wonder what color I should use?

Post a Comment