Monday, April 6, 2020

Timely Thoughts


Hello Mail Artists & Viewers,  

These are certainly challenging times as our world changes in ways we never could have imagined.  I've been thinking about what we do and how we do it, and why.  

Many of us are becoming more aware of our surroundings and of the potential health risks and possible dangers of relating one-on-one and in groups.  

A little while ago I was wondering if I should put our group mail art exchanges on hold.  Several participants indicated that we NEEDED to keep the opportunity for creating and sharing mailable art available, to help keep morale up.  I agreed.  Perhaps getting a visit through-the-mail is the next best thing to being there!

Simultaneous to the concerns about handling the mail (You can let it sit somewhere for a day or two before opening it and/or wear gloves if you feel more comfortable doing so...), there are reports coming out that our USPS is suffering revenue loss from declining mail volume.  (Use of electronic statements, etc. may contribute to less mail going through the system.  And how many people do you know who actually write letters anymore?)

Being able to exchange art through the mail means a lot to many of us, so I hope we will continue to participate in the swaps and personal exchanges.  In my spare time I made up and printed out the stickers (shown above) that I hope to use on envelopes I send out.  I think the message says it all.

I always look forward to seeing the art coming in for our swaps, and wish all of you good health, peace, and much creative inspiration.  

KEEP ON MAKING ART :)  Honi

Feel free to post your comments in the space below... 
   


6 comments:

Margaret said...

My post office has a spacing system that's working well and they are keeping customers in the lobby to 10. I mailed out 3 different art swaps today. Consolidating trips now where I used to mail out as a project was finished. I do enjoy both getting mail art and making stuff to mail out.

IndigoWalker said...

Absolutley! I whole heartedly agree with your sentiments, and leaving the mail a few days will ensure any nasites have died off, although it's so hard to do when you get it! I make sure I wash my hands with soap after handling the mail. stay safe!

motherbrando/Renee said...

still doing my part to generate revenue and increase volume for the USPS. I've been sending out fists full of mail everyday. IUOMA, MMSA,Postcrossing<
family , Friends , neighbors & relative I only see at weddings and funerals.

KR said...

Renee, you are an inspiration to us all! We are sometimes so used to sending an email or making a phone call, it requires a little more effort to write a note and prepare it for mailing. I suppose I should send a card to my mother :) Honi

motherbrando/Renee said...

I make &/or send about 15 a day! everyone that I know associates me with postcards/mail art.. And yes you should send Mum a card.

Anonymous said...

Hello eveyone,

Still sending Mail-Art and do Postcrossing to keep up good spirit and spread wishes for good health. Also sending out postcards every day in my own country for the eldery in nursing homes. They are not allowed to have visitors; because of the lockdown in the Netherlands.
Stay safe everyone.
Happy Easter / Inta

Post a Comment