Saturday, February 1, 2020

Why Mail Art???

collage over watercolors - by hhc
These days it seems that personal correspondence is a dinosaur compared to the super-fast electronic communications we have literally "at our fingertips" 24/7.  But what about the human touch?  The tactile and visual pleasure of holding a well-thought-out sentiment from the hand of someone we care about?  

Despite the convenience and availability of  lightning-fast electronic communications, I have this theory (probably not an original one) that humans are becoming disconnected from one another.  This may lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness.  (Arm chair psychologist here....)  

I think there is data out there about the benefits of actual tangible correspondence.  Exchanging art through the mail not only connects people, it also encourages creative expression.  I often get inspired by the art that I see coming in for the mail art exchanges.  Receiving mail art prompts me to think about new designs, to use new media and to try new techniques.  
watercolors - by hhc


Some artists may actually enter a meditative state when visualizing or  creating art.  It almost happened to me once when a wave of  euphoria swept over me as I applied acrylic paint with a large brush across a length of packing paper.   (Or maybe I was holding my breath?)  So, there can be mental and emotional benefits from creating and sharing mail art.  ART IS GOOD FOR YOU :)

The friendships I've found through this group are very special to me.  I never would have connected with any of you were it not for the MAIL ME SOME ART group.  I am very thankful I came across this site in 2012.  It has been an amazing experience so far, one that I hope continues for years to come.

4 comments:

motherbrando/Renee said...

I just finished sending 68 postcards to random people I know. Everyone was pleased with the personal touch,just as You said.
It's like a gift in the mailbox trudging to the mailbox expecting the same old stuff, bills, flyers, campaign cr*p..... then tucked in between is something just for you. Something that is yours. something that is not wanting anything but is giving you something without a request first. Its why I Love the mail!

Cynthia said...

Beautiful post! And we are very grateful for you. Happy 2020!

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, nice to read

KR said...

Y'all make me smile :) Keep on making art. Honi

Post a Comment