Sometimes our art "just happens," sometimes we plan out every step and detail. The "focus" of this swap is to plan/design/create our art so that it has a definite "Focal Point."
What is a "Focal Point?" It is an element of your design that draws the viewer's attention to it.
Think of it as the central point of activity or interest (but not necessarily in the center), an obvious, or subtle, essential/important part of the overall design.
Some ways to create a "Focal Point" are to use
(Promptings borrowed from The Drawing Bible by Craig Nelson 2006)
- Contrast of size or color (small/large, dark/light)
- Color itself (for example, cool tones next to warm tones)
- Orientation (angular, perpendicular, etc. to the other elements in your art design)
- Position (foreground, background)
- Isolation of an element, shape or aspect as opposed to groupings of similar shapes
- Contrast of shape, i.e. angular/square vs. curved/flowing, etc.
Good examples may be viewed while doing an online search for Focal Point Art Images.
For this swap, make 1 - 4 post cards with an effort to create a "Focal Point" that draws the attention to one area of your design. Your art will be exchanged with designated swap partners when the swap is processed.
|Shape & orientation: narrow image angled across art|
THEME: FOCAL POINT
6" x 4+1/4"
|Color contrast and Position- Foreground |
& Yum-Factor (I made that up)
*****ANYTHING LARGER THAN POST CARD SIZE LIMITS WILL REQUIRE AT LEAST 50-CENTS LETTER RATE POSTAGE.*****
- AS MANY SELF-ADDRESS LABELS AS PIECES YOU EXPECT TO RECEIVE BACK
- SUFFICIENT POSTAGE FOR EACH PIECE YOU SEND IN
- WAXED PAPER, PARCHMENT OR CELLOPHANE BETWEEN EACH PIECE
- YOUR RETURN ADDRESS ON EACH PIECE YOU SEND IN
- WRITE "MMSA - FOCAL POINT" on the side you write on anyway, not the on art side
*****IF YOUR ART IS THICKER THAN SEVERAL LAYERS OF INDEX CARD, TOO STIFF TO BEND EASILY, OR EXTENDS OVER THE EDGES, OR IF YOUR ART IS ENCASED IN CELLOPHANE SLEEVES, IT WILL REQUIRE AT LEAST 71-cents "NON-MACHINABLE" POSTAGE.*****
|Angled reflections, color contrast of buildings, lines between houses |
vs. flow of water, curve of sky and straight line of wall
Put your card(s) in an envelope and
get it into the mail
no later than Monday, October 22nd
Post Office Box 142
Freedom, New York State 14065
SAMPLE MAIL ART SWAP POST CARD TEMPLATE:
- You may send in as many as four cards unless specified by the swap host. (You will get back the same number you send, each from a different artist).
- Your cards will be mailed to your host in an envelope, and your host will mail them as-is to other swappers. International swappers may request to have them all mailed together in one envelope.
- If you're sending more than one, please make sure you insert waxed paper, parchment or cellophane between the cards so they don't get stuck together in the envelope, especially if you use glue, paint or sealant.
- Write “MMSA - FOCAL POINT" on the back of each card and attach your return address in the UPPER LEFT HAND CORNER in case of postal delivery problems. Including an email address legibly written would make it easier for your recipient to thank you.
- LEAVE SPACE FOR THE "ADDRESS TO" LABELS WHICH YOUR SWAP HOST WILL ATTACH
- Include a mailing label with your name and address for each card you expect to receive back.
(Your host will attach them to the swapped cards she mails to you)
- Please include the proper postage in the envelope or adhere stamps to your postcards (see below for postal guidelines)
- Postcards made from thicker cardboard (therefore stiff/not easily bendable) will need nonmachinable postage. Thank you.
- In order to use the postcard rate ($.35) your card cannot be bigger than 6"
x 4+1/4", and it must be thin and flexible. A card that is larger, thick, or stiff/doesn't bend, will require more postage.
- If your card is an unusual shape (square, round) or is flexible but has some lumpy embellishments it will probably cost you the "nonmachinable" rate of $.71
- If your card is very thick, heavy and doesn't bend at all, the post office may consider it a package and you should get it weighed and measured to figure out the proper postage.
INTERNATIONAL SWAPPERS - Please contact the swap host regarding using PayPal to cover return mailing postage, or make other arrangements.