Saturday, December 28, 2013

January is "random act of mail art kindness" month


Hello swappers!  
 I’ve had a wonderful little break from the computer, and I’m almost ready to announce some  new swaps for the new year.

In the meantime, I’m taking a suggestion from Joanne and hosting a Random Act of Kindness “swap”.

Here’s the idea:
Make something and send it to someone who isn’t expecting it. Take a picture of what you created and email it to me with a note about who you sent it to and why.  I will post all pictures and stories on the blog. You won’t get anything in return expect the joy of knowing you brightened someone’s day.

Who should you send it to?
It could be someone you know but never send mail to – your mom, your cousin, your grandfather, your faraway friend.  (I send mail-art to strangers all over the world and somehow never send anything to my friends and family.  That just doesn't seem right!)
Or how about someone in the military stationed far from home?  Or someone in a nursing home?  Does your church have a list of people who would benefit from a nice note?  How about sending a card and note to someone in your neighborhood whose garden you admire?  Or a thank you note to one your former teachers?  Now that I'm thinking about thank you notes....you could send one to your town fire department, or your local librarian, or to your mail carrier!  There are so many possibilities for spreading postal love.
 
Make a postcard, decorate an envelope, send an ATC – anything at all – but don’t send it to one of your usual mail-art contacts.  The idea is to send some handmade cheer to someone who never receives things like that.


So let’s get started!
1.     Create something
2.     Take a picture of it
3.     Mail it to an unsuspecting recipient
4.     Email the picture and your story to iamrushmore@gmail.com any time between now and January 31st.
5.     Please write “RAK” in the subject line of your email, to make it easy for me to sort my mail and keep track of this project.
6. Feel free to send multiple pictures/stories

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW..Definitely Amazing. I have some soliders I am hoping to connect with.
will send you my creation!

Jill said...

This is a wonderful idea!

Parabolic Muse said...

WHAT a great idea!!

Post a Comment